Slip and fall accidents occur frequently and are second only to motor vehicle accidents in incidents that cause personal injury. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reports that over one million Americans suffer a slip, trip, and fall injury, and over 17,000 die each year as a result of their injuries. Workplace slip and fall accidents are also dangerous and very common, accounting for 15 percent of all job-related injuries.
In order to prevent you or a loved one from suffering a MI slip and fall accident this summer, and year-round as well, it is important to understand the common causes of these types of accidents.
The following are some of the more conventional causes of slip and fall accidents:
- Floor surfaces, which are slick due to over waxing, mopping, etc.;
- A puddle of water or liquid on the floor that has been unchecked by the liable party;
- Worn carpets with holes or snags, or loose flooring or carpeting;
- Walkways or stairs with damaged support rails, or stairs which have not been built according to safety codes or that have worn or cracked surfaces or edges;
- Paved surfaces with uneven cracks and potholes;
- Snow and ice on sidewalks and walkways in MI winters that have not been removed;
- Irregular surfaces, such as an uneven sidewalk; and
- Housekeeping issues in working and walking areas, such as cords or clutter.
Slip and fall accidents can result in very serious injuries, such as broken bones and fractures, spinal cord injury, and head trauma. If you are a Michigan resident who has suffered injuries due to a slip and fall accident, you are legally entitled to seek compensation from any negligent parties who caused you harm.
An Oakland County slip and fall accident lawyer at Lipton Law can discuss with you all of your legal rights and options, and can help you receive the compensation you need to recover from your injures. For a complimentary consultation with our legal team, please call (248) 557-1688.